Creamy Roasted Jalapeno Soup
the charming south kitchen
Fall has (not quite officially) begun,
but when I bring out the old youth group (yay Anastasia) tshirts that I’ve had for some 15 years,
I can make roasted jalapeno soup and call it Fall.
Back in August I attended my family reunion over in Northern Alabama. Southern cooking and fried chicken and pies and pound cakes are the name of the game. Woodworking and quilting. What I also received this year was a giant bag of jalapenos. Can life really get much better? Fresh grown jalapenos. Yes, from people who really know what they are doing in the vegetable garden arena (not me, I kill basil). What was I going to do with all of these tiny peppers that tasted so good with just a subtle amount of heat?
Make soup of course. And anything you can put cheese, bacon, and avocado on has got to be a good soup, right?
This has just the right amount of heat. You may want a glass of milk nearby, but most of you will probably be able to handle it. I just downed a bowl of it. My husband will have it tonight alongside a full-loaded baked potato. Not too shabby for a Monday night.
- 6 jalapenos, no seeds
- 5 carrots, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2½ cup chicken broth (homemade is best so you control the ingredients)
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 T unsalted butter
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ¾ cup mexican shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice and seed jalapenos.
- Place them cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast at 400 for 15 minutes
- Chop onion and carrots.
- Saute in olive oil over medium heat (in a dutch oven) for about 4 minutes.
- Add roasted jalapenos (chop them) and garlic powder
- Add in butter and as it melts, stir in the flour.
- Once combined, add in chicken broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add in milk and simmer for another 3-5 minutes
- Transfer to a blender to puree (or use immersion blender.
- Put back in dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes and cheese and heat through until cheese is melted.
- Top your bowl of soup with more tomatoes, cheese, avocado slices, bacon.