Who doesn’t like something warm on a cold night? Give me anything really that I can eat with a spoon – in a bowl – and I’d be happy, curled up on the couch, yoga pants on, slippers enveloping my feet, fire roaring – and a bowl of something warm.
This is a great chowder for just one of those nights. I’m continuing in my goal of cooking through all of Jenna’s recipes (that were on her site before Jan 1 2014) and am having fun with it so far. Here is her recipe:
broccoli cheddar chowder
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 T butter
- 1 medium sized bunch broccoli, chopped (about 12 oz florets)
- 1 russet potato
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼th tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 oz) - I used Vermont extra sharp white cheddar
- 2 T all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- More cheese for the top
- Blanch broccoli and set aside
- Dice onion and potato and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest except the cheese.
- When boiling for about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are done), then add cheese and broccoli.
- Heat through and serve.